We Safeguard the Rule of Law

Edmonton’s Leading Common Law Legal Experts

Are you looking for expert assistance with your common-law matter? In Alberta, when an unmarried couple lives together, yet maintains a 'marriage-like' relationship for at least three years, they are considered to be common laws. You are living common if:

  • You have an ongoing relationship with someone and have a child who has become part of the relationship through either birth or adoption
  • You have agreed to enter a common-law relationship

Common-law partners are partially entitled to the same rights as a married couple, but not all. For instance, when common-law couples decide to split, one of them can apply for financial support. Still, financial assets split will be based on what each partner has brought into their relationship, not on an equal property division basis.

There are three ways in which you can end your common-law relationship:

  • By entering an agreement to live separately, without the possibility of getting back together, also called reconciliation
  • By living separately for more than a year or both partners intend to end the adult interdependent relationship
  • When you and your partner decide to marry each other, or one of you chooses to enter into a relationship with a third individual, either common law or marriage

Many young individuals choose not to get married; instead, they enter common-law relationships and create a cohabitation agreement. Peak Family Law is a family law firm that provides its clients with legal advice on various common law aspects, including:

  • A cohabitation agreement
  • Adult interdependent partner agreement
  • Adult interdependent relationship act
  • Family property act
  • Division of assets
  • Child support
  • Custody and access
  • And other legal matters concerning common law

For more information on our dedicated and affordable common law legal process, talk to our expert divorce lawyer today.

Call Us Today! Our Initial Consultation Is Free.

Talk to an Expert

For Consultation

Contact Us Today